Wednesday 29 August 2007

Farewell to yarn

Knitwrong is taking an enforced absence from the internet in order to effect the sanity-shattering relocation of the Webbo family from from Sheffield to Bath. By Sunday. (And I know that this is not so much an "announcement" as a "statement of self-evident fact", but I thought I should put some gloss on the cryptic pronouncements of the last post.)

Moving means purging. I am taking uncharacteristic pleasure in divesting myself of Stuff - that inchoate accretion of objects which seems untouchable until one is faced with the prospect of hoiking it into a van and lugging it across the country. Goodbye, books I never really liked! (Lunar Park, The Human Stain, Infinite Jest, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - you will not mock me from my bookshelf in Bath.) Goodbye, ugly vase we got for Christmas and kept in a cupboard! And goodbye, amazing jumper from a charity shop in Oxford! I bought this out of a curiosity to see Fair Isle close up, a love of the colours, and a fascination with the label (it was handknit in Oxford, apparently). I am re-donating because it's so warm it makes my face sweat even in midwinter, yellow makes me look peaky, and the floats are brazenly too long (several have snapped and it's beyond me to fix them). Oh, and it's got drop shoulders which give me monkey arms.

As this is like my fiftieth post or something, I suppose I could be ungenerous enough to give it away as a prize. But I'm not even resourceful enough to think of a competition right now. Perhaps by post #51, I'll have come up with some decent loot and a way for you to win it.

16 comments:

Rebel said...

I think purging is the best part of moving, as the move date gets closer and closer you feel more and more free to toss things you've been holding onto for irrational reasons. Like the jeans I will never fit into again or the kitchen gadget that I was really going to use for every meal, etc.

Toss, donate, be free! - zuma

florencemary said...

Whoah, methinks this is one of the 'life-changing decisions'... Bath is a great place: my lovely bruv lives there with his family.

Lots of good luck and love for the move! It's hard work, I know, especially with little Webbos in tow, but it'll be exciting! Take care, and hope you'll be back online soon xx.

Nell said...

Good luck with the move!! I'm moving this week too. Since GetKnitted is on the way to Bath from Bristol we're going to have to meet there, SOON!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move. I love Bath, have visited a few times because I have family there and think it is gorgeous!

Looking forward to hearing that you have settled in fine and your stash arrived in one piece ;)

Juno said...

That is eye searing. Kind of facinating, but eye searing.

Maybe use it as a jumping off point in some future knitting adventure.

Good luck with the move.....

Oh, and thank you for reminding me that Maggie Righetti was on my shelf, waiting for me to notice the enlightenment available for the reading.

Anonymous said...

So you mean it then, you're off? OK, I look forward to you being settled in and finally getting back to regular blogging!

Happy New Home!!

Sarah said...

Eek! Good luck, I hope that the move is as smooth as possible and that you settle in well.

I think that jumper would have originally been made for a shop that used to be near the railway station - I never went in and it went before I 'found' knitting :( I cam imagine it would not be the most flattering garment!

Seahorse said...

Best of luck with the move!

Would the sweater felt? It would make a mighty funky retro cushion!

maramcp said...

Best of luck with the move, I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

Donna said...

Good luck with the move, and hope to see you back here very soon.

maryannlucy said...

Good luck with your move - there is a lot of it about at the moment. Give us a wave on your way past.

Hellbelle said...

Bath is nice. Similar to Sheffield in being very hilly and having terrible traffic...

The jumper is making my eyes go funny.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you have a picture of the ugly vase, or even better is it for sale? :-D

Rachael said...

Hello!!

I can't believe you're on the move..but what a lovely place to be moving to.

Bath has a fashion museum which, although I'm yet to visit it, means it may be our final destination one day. I was also rather impressed by lovely Brighton which I visited for the first time on bank holiday weekend... I'm definitely feeling London may not be a forever thing!!

You really are forced to make some difficult decisions when you have to start taking things out of the van beccause the door will no longer shut!!

Best of luck with the move,
love Rachael xxx
purlyq.com

Badger said...

Keep a space in the garden clear for the badger tent!

Hope it all goes well x

Caroline M said...

We could have done something with it given that the care label says it's wool from a sheep. It would have made a bag with a bit of dye and some felting.

Hope you're well and the Webblets are settled in.