Monday, 30 July 2007

Knit it black

A while ago, I was quietly dismissive of handpainted colourways and wild self-striping effects. But today, I am feeling sympathetic towards their uses - if not for wearing, at least for blogging purposes. Because, as happy as I am about the way my black Elle Elite is working up, I can't pretend that it's the most photogenic of yarns. There's not even a great deal to tell you about the pattern, partly because there isn't a pattern. It's a top-down raglan, worked out with the assistance of Sweater Design in Plain English by my beloved Maggie Righetti: there are a couple of interesting details reserved for later on, but at the moment it's all a bit vanilla. Even where I intended to do exciting things like plan a compound raglan, I have been foiled by an aggravatingly convenient set of measurements. But I suppose if I wanted tricky, I'd be designing dressmaking details with some sort of stitch pattern - and as it's the summer holidays, any knitting has to be simple enough to be done simultaneously with mummying duties. We don't want a repeat of any wheelbarrow-related distracted parenting incidents, do we?

7 comments:

LilKnitter said...

Your posts are always so well-phrased; truly a joy to read, all of them.

Thanks for the comment on my latest. Not my most-eloquent best, but such is the way of things when I'm enraged.

Um, call me clueless, but what is a compound raglan? It sounds fun and exciting (ok, more just interesting to see, but I'm a sucker for raglan increases!)

Sarah said...

It might not make the most interesting photo but it sounds like a great jumper in the making.

Queen of the froggers said...

I too have to have a mummy-ing knit on the go! It is very hard to knit lace with children around, I learnt that the other day!!!

Piglottie said...

I'm sure your jumper will look tres chic when its finished :)

Thanks for your lovley comment on my blog. I hope all is well with you and that we have all seen the back of the flooding for good.

Caroline M said...

Well the stitch markers give it a bit of colour don't they? If you're going to knit black then it really does have to be in the summer when the light is half way decent some of the time. I'll take your word for it being a raglan, it could equally well be a bag or a tea cosy from here. I can wait for the amusing photo of the half knit top down sweater tried on for armhole depth - it's always a good one that one.

You can't beat a sock for multitasking mummying, as they are washable they can survive sand, suncream milk and ribena.

Seahorse said...

Oh yeah, 'Mummy knitting'! I failed to think ahead this year and all my current wips are somewhat fiddly and hence largely inactive! Your raglan sounds like it will be rather impressive though!

I have to ask, is your post title referencing 'Paint it black' or 'Sing it back'. I think I have some sort of OCD... lol!

Rebel said...

I agree with Sarah - it's going to look great when it's all done. I did Tempting in black, and it really turned out well. - zuma