Wednesday, 23 May 2007

I *heart* Arisaig

Not that I am competitive or anything, but seeing Sarah getting busy with her Arisaig meant I simply had to put everything else aside and do this:

This is the first time I've knit a garment in 4 ply. Knitting with 4-ply is one of those things I never expected to be a part of my knitting life: I assumed it would be a slow, fiddly business and the results would never be worth it. But this blog is about being wrong, and I am happy to concede that I was very wrong about that. I love the dainty needles, I love the neat little stitches, I love my mistakes being invisible. I love that all the qualities of knitted fabric that I enjoy appear to increase in inverse proportion to the weight of the yarn. Working at a small gauge, the knitting seems to be more stretchy, more forgiving - and of course, tiny stitches mean that gauge woes are not magnified into gauge tragedies.

Speaking of mistakes, can you spot the odd row out in my lace swatch? The chart doesn't show the "extra" stitches to the repeat, so if you work it exactly as written, the last row of the pattern is jogged along by one stitch, and although it's very pretty that way, I like it best of all as little rows of hearts.

Now, one thing about little rows of hearts done in pink is that they are dangerously close to being a bit sickly. And that is where the yarn comes in. It's a vintage buy called Hermit Shetland and it is not sickly. It's a little bit tough, a little bit heathered, a little bit fuzzy, and just interesting enough to carry off being a sugary pink colour. But just to make assurance doubly sure, I'm doing the ribbing and tie in brown (also, because I was worried I didn't have enough pink; also, because the darker colour around my waist should give an illusion of hourglassiness). I might look like a scoop of neopolitan ice-cream, but I think I will be a very happy little ice-cream when autumn comes and I'm wearing this.

5 comments:

clarabelle said...

What a lovely post! And I agree with you totally about the wonderfulness of knitting with 4-ply - I think it's a much-underrated pleasure. And I love the little row of hearts! Good luck with Arisaig! I was tempted, but then got distracted with something else...

Rebel said...

I love the hearts - so pretty... not sickly at all! - zuma

Badger said...

4 ply sucks. I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I hate knitting with it for a me sized garment. Still, I might be prepared to give it a try to end up with an ice cream costume. I'd like that....

Sarah said...

Oooh looking really good. You've chosen a lovely pink and as you know I'm with you on a darker contrast yarn. I'm going to cast on on Monday and I hope we can encourage each other on. Thanks already for the tip about the extra stitches. At the moment I agree with everything you say about 4 ply - those tiny stitches are just the most beautiful - we'll see how I feel a few weeks in though!

MsFortuknit said...

thats lovely!