Thursday, 17 May 2007

Little Meme

There are rules in this place, you know. For one thing, it's meant to be about my knitting rather than myself. But Pixie has tagged me, so here for your edification is some spurious knitting information (I did some fair isle last night!), followed by seven random facts about me.

1. I believed from the age of 16 to the age of 20 that my adult height was 5'2". When I was pregnant, my height was taken at my checking in appointment and I was appalled to discover that I'm really only 5'1". Where's my inch, bitches?

2. My sister says I sound all wrong when I swear, and "like you just made the word up." I think this means I am the opposite of fierce.

3. My mum and my sister are both infant teachers. My main ambition is to avoid becoming a teacher by becoming, um, a university tutor.

4. I study literature but I'm not nearly as well read as I mean to be, and I've owned the following books for two years or more without reading them: Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, The Recognitions, The Naked Lunch, The Name of the Rose (and probably lots more besides, but they're the most egregious omissions).

5. Even though I haven't read everything on my bookcase, I will read anything that's put in front of me. That means I read the Daily Mail cover-to-cover whenever I'm at my Grandma's house, even though it makes me furious (in fact, I think I like being furious).

6. When I was little (in the 1980s), I used to read the fashion page in the Sunday paper and try to copy what ever the week's look was. I was immensely proud of my turquoise leggings and hot pink t-shirt ensemble, got up in response to a feature on clashing fluorescents.

7. Now I am a grown-up, I think that the real trick to looking good isn't clashing fluorescents (duh!) but proper foundation garments. I feel shamefully underdressed in a skirt without a petticoat.

So there you go. Embarrassingly, that actually looks like a fairly comprehensive summary of my character. I'm not going to tag anyone explicitly because I'm too lazy to check everyone else's blogs and see who's already done this. But if you're reading this, and you haven't done this and would like to, consider yourself tagged.

1 comment:

clarabelle said...

I'm with you with the literature, Webbo! There are so many books that I think I should have read to enhance my 'literary life', but I haven't (but probably because they're basically boring). I also will read anything that's put before me (esp Heat mag) - appalling, but true.