Sunday, 1 April 2007

The picovoli that ate everything

First of all it devoured 7-and-bit balls of Rowan Wool Cotton and then, not satisfied with that, it ate my waistline. Here it is in all its ravenous glory, and in case you hadn't already guessed, I'm not sure how pleased I am with it.

On the one hand, I think I can be fairly happy with the garment in and of itself. I wanted to make a tunic, I adapted a pattern I liked, and I have indeed made a tunic. I like the colour accent around the edges (my little boy said. "Oh! I like where you've just squeezed the purple in!"). I'm pretty satisfied with my knitting: outstanding knitwrongs notwithstanding, it looks pretty good, and my superpowered new steam iron blocks like a mofo. And worn over a long-sleeve t-shirt and jeans, it's perfectly cosy and lightweight for a breezy spring day.

But, but, but... I don't think it suits me. It cleaves unflatteringly to my post-partum tummy and it slices me off aggravatingly at the widest point of my thighs. I think my next job will be to make a sash belt and see if that can't summon up some curves. Well now I know I can adapt a pattern anyway; next time, let's see if I my adaptations can't make something better rather than just different.




The specs:

Pattern Picovoli from Magknits
Materials Rowan Wool Cotton in shade 903 (7 balls) and shade 959 (1 ball)
Cost and source £24 (the MC was bought on eBay for £19.50, the CC from John Lewis for £4.50)
Adaptations I wanted to make a tunic so I worked 10 sets of waist increases rather than the 6 given in the pattern, and knit until I used up all my wool. I used a contrast colour for hem accents. I included the suggested short rows.

No comments: