Tuesday, 27 March 2007

The world wide knitternet

I love being an internet knitter. Having access to a worldwide community of people all doing the same thing as you - and all doing it slightly differently, with their own travails and insights - has thrown knitting wide open to me. From the nervous poking I accomplished under the watchful eye of my second instructress (it's ok, she doesn't work there anymore), I can now look out to thousands of knitters for support, advice and encouragement - and give the same out to others in turn. I've tried things in my first year of knitting that I might have taken years or decades to get to on my own (cables! lace! provisional cast-ons! posh yarn! cheap cotton! dishcloths! I fear nothing in the knittiverse!). I thank you, knitters. Knit on.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

It took me 35 years to knit my first sock because I'd convinced myself that I would never be able to hold those little needles. It's like you tell your children, "you don't know what you can do until you try". The internet showed me that there was so much I didn't know how to do, then showed me how to do it.